[ All Latest News ] [ View Archives ]

Mobile telecoms industry firm on switch-off of counterfeit phones

Posted: 26 Sep, 2012

The mobile telecoms industry today reaffirmed its commitment to switch off counterfeit mobile phones come September 30.

In a joint press conference held at a Nairobi hotel, the four mobile operators, device manufacturers and ICT sector regulator, CCK, pledged to rid the industry and Kenya of fake mobile handsets by the set deadline.

In his address, CCK Director General Mr. Francis Wangusi said CCK and the industry have already carried out adequate public awareness on counterfeit handsets ahead of the switch off. CCK, he added, has in collaboration with the device manufacturers set up an intelligent database for use by subscribers in verifying the status of mobile handsets.

“In light of all this, all counterfeit handsets shall be switched off on September 30th without fail. I wish to state categorically that there shall be no further extension of the deadline,” he said. Mr. Wangusi urged Kenya to make use of the database, adding that close to 11 million queries have so far been made enquiries to the system, representing slightly more than a third of the 29.7 million subscribers in Kenya.

He commended mobile operators and device manufacturers for supplementing the CCK’s campaign through their own public awareness campaigns, and for availing affordable genuine mobile in the market.

The four mobile operators said they would support CCK in switching off all counterfeit handsets but challenged the relevant agencies to enhance surveillance to stem the inflow of fake handsets into the Kenyan market.

Speaking on behalf of Information and Communications Permanent Secretary, Amb. Bruce Madete, Director of Administration, Ministry of Information and Communication, said the switch off of counterfeit handsets was in line with Government’s policy is to rid the country of all counterfeits.